EN 2108: Fundamental Business English I
Higher National Diploma in English (HNDE) – 2nd Year 1st Semester Syllabus
Businesswriting: letters, memos, faxes (15/08 hrs)
• Layout and style of business letters, opening, ending
• Reading different business letters, faxes, and memos. Discuss merits and de-merits,
the kind of impression they give the readers. List characteristics of a good letter.
• Planning and drafting letters/ memos, emails, faxes
• Types of activities: 1. as the marketing manager of a company write a letter to a
branch manager confirming the arrangements discussed over the phone, regarding a
meeting with the sales executives.
Jobs and careers (15/07hrs)
Applying for a job, writing a resume, covering letter, letters of introduction and reference
Over the phone (15/08 hrs)
• Making a phone call to another company,
– Practice useful phrases in context, e.g. I’d like to speak to…., I’m afraid he’s
in a meeting/not in the office.
– Role play conversations with a partner
• Taking a message: different ways of noting down messages,
• Ordering and negotiating over the phone, simulations, draft a follow-up fax to the
buyer confirming your call and what you agreed on.
Placing and acknowledging an order, making/ replying enquiries (15/07hrs)
• Makeenquiries about a product over the phone, place an order, fax an
• Answering enquiries: 1. Read the advertisement about the product.2. Prepare an
answer to an enquiry by letter/ fax/ phone or person.
• The following points should be included in your reply
1. Thank the customer for the interest in your products, 2. Say how the product is
suitable for customer’s needs, 3. Say that you are sending/giving a catalogue, price
list, advertising literature, etc., 4. Explain hoe he can get hands-on experience, 6.
Offer to send samples, 7. State the location of the distributor’s showroom near his
Dealing with problems: complaining, apologizing (15/08 hrs)
• Expressions used to make complaints without sounding rude or aggressive, e.g.
“I’m sorry to have to say this but …” “I think you may have forgotten…”
• Apologizing, e.g. “sorry, my fault”, “I’m very sorry I didn’t realize…”
• Replying a complaint: situations-order has not arrived, I was charged more…, the
order was for 80 boxes containing 144 items in each, Each box we have opened so
far contains only 100 items.
Job interviews (15/07hrs)
• Practice using polite and clear speech for greeting/ introducing/ apologizing/asking
• Read different dialogues .Answer questions based on them. Enact them in class.
• Write a dialogue between the applicant and the interviewer and enact it. Then
reverse the roles